Welcome

Thanks for visiting! My blog is about all things connected to Judy Evans' Collection, home to handmade stained glass mosaic switch plates and handmade stained glass sun catchers.

Please check them out at http://www.judyevanscollection.com/.

Read and enjoy - and don't forget to leave a comment. We love to hear what you think about each post.

September 22, 2008

My Sister Pat P.

I’m so blessed to have Patty as my sister. When I was little she was my idol. It was her Christmas and birthday gifts that I most looked forward to, and I wanted to be just like her.

Patty taught me that you should welcome adventure and change. In 1976 our brother Bill and Uncle Larry were on a fishing trip in Washington and they happened upon a small resort that was for sale. On a whim they called my sister from the corner pay phone and asked her if she wanted to buy it with them. Site un-seen, she said yes and the rest is history.

They all sold their homes and businesses in California (Patty left a great job as a computer tech – when computers were the size of large offices) and moved to Washington. I don’t think Patty had ever even been to Washington, and certainly didn’t know anything about owning and working a resort! It was a scary thing for a single mom with a 14 year old son, but she had the strength to make a change that had the potential for a wonderful life for her and her son. And it was a wonderful life for them. But how many people do you know who could do such a daring thing?

Patty taught me the value of family. She has the kind of relationship with her grandchildren that I hope to someday have with mine. Patty creates special times to spend with each of them one on one. She has planned very special trips for them throughout the years – just her and her grandson or granddaughter by themselves to New York City, Washington DC, San Francisco, Boston, Southern California, cruise to Alaska - and always plans around their interests. Then to make the time even more memorable, she creates wonderful scrapbooks for them to remember the trips they’ve taken. Her relationship with her 2 grandchildren is very touching. Jared & Sara have so much love for their Grandma and they like to sit next to her and cuddle – these kids aren’t little anymore – Jared is 20 and Sara is 14!

Patty has also taught me the value of compassion for others. After selling the resort (they owned it for 15 years) she volunteered as a child advocate for abused and neglected children in the court system. This volunteer position turned into a job with the County Juvenile Services where she worked until she retired. After 3 months of being retired she realized that was not for her and returned to Juvenile Services as a “relief juvenile detention officer”. She not only sees a lot of drama, but she also has a lot of fun. She was actually an actor in a nationwide training film for juvenile detention centers. (Now that she’s a film star I can get her autograph if you want!)

I love and admire my sister Patty. She was, and continues to be a role-model for me. Those of you who have close loving relationships with your sisters can understand my love for her. I wouldn’t be the person I am, if not for having her in my life.

The necklace that you see here is named for her. She likes to go bead shopping with me and I always challenge her to pick out companion beads for centerpieces. I loved this centerpiece but could never find beads that worked. As always, Patty found the perfect match!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky and blessed to find such an outstanding 'role-model' within your own family!

Dawn said...

Sisters are true treasures!

Joy said...

How sweet!
My sister and I are opening an artists' retreat in our home...soon! We're still renovating. This is a great story that helps me see that you can leave it all behind and go out on an adventure of a life! :)
How fun!

Reese said...

The necklace is gorgeous and your sister sounds beautiful, inside and out. You are truly blessed.

Reese

Elizabeth said...

What a wonderful story! You are blessed to have a great sister :)

Anonymous said...

My sister and I are also close, not just in a physical sense (we live across the street from each other) but in our souls, too. I love reading about others who feel the same way about their sibling as I do. I'm going to share this with my little sister as she will also appreciate it. Thank you.

Judy Evans said...

Thanks to everyone who's commented.

Anonymous said...

I know your sister and your right she is great, my mother loved her very much. This was a wonderful story.

Judy Evans said...

Thanks for saying that about Patty. She is pretty special!

jimmie said...

HI Judy...this is great and you are right she is a wonderful person, she and I have had some wonderful times...I think any time spent with Pat is wonderful she just makes everyday things special...Thanks for shareing I know she would not tell me about it. I happen to know she is pretty proud of you also..Dawn is right sister are special, even the ones we pick for ourselves...take care God bless...love jimmie

Karen said...

Nice story :) Beautiful jewelry!

Judy Evans said...

Thanks for your wonderful comments!

Sarah said...

What a wonderful story :) It sounds like you and your sister have a very special bond.

Anonymous said...

чтобы добавлять свои статьи, обязательно ли регистрироватся?