Welcome

Thanks for visiting! My blog is about all things connected to Judy Evans' Collection, home to handmade stained glass mosaic switch plates and handmade stained glass sun catchers.

Please check them out at http://www.judyevanscollection.com/.

Read and enjoy - and don't forget to leave a comment. We love to hear what you think about each post.

January 9, 2014

New Year - New Home

I'm excited to start 2014 because my husband and I made a life altering decision to move to Northern California and start a life that is totally different from what we've experienced in our 43+ years of marriage.

Instead of the hour+ commute to and from work 5 days a week, my husband now works from home 4 days a week.  And I now have a designated space for my studio where I make stained glass mosaic light switch covers and stained glass sun catchers.  Here's my etsy site - Judy Evans' Collection.

Previously we lived in Southern California and was part of the hustle bustle of traffic and stress that is life in Southern California.  We'll miss our friends and family but knew it was the right thing to do to plan for our retirement.  Our daughter and her family live nearby so we get to see her much more than before.  We'll miss being with our son and his family, however we'll have the opportunity to go down south for visits frequently.

We moved to a lovely home on an acre of land.  Next door to us is a forest and we occasionally see deer in our yard.  The wild life that we used to see was crazy golfers - the deer are much more gentle and certainly quieter!

With a new home comes new decorating plans.  Our first project was to paint our guest room - and it's great having a true guest room instead of a multi-purpose room where friends and family stayed while visiting.  We painted the room a soft lavender, Glidden Misted Lilac, and bought a side table to go next to the bed.  I'm still painting the trim.  Pictures to follow......

When deciding on a paint color, I looked for the trending colors for 2014.  And then decided to disregard what the 'professionals' thought and to go with my comfort zone - I'm a purple girl!  After all, we're going to see my color choice every day and the 'professionals' will never see my choice!  I hope I made the right decision.

We have more to do to personalize our home and I'll keep you posted.

In doing decorating research I came across something interesting.  Shape Tape by Frogtape is a roll of precut chevron, scallop or wave tape that can be used to create unique patterns.  I plan to use this on my next painting project, our master bedroom and bath.  Not sure how, but I'll figure it out.  Here's a link for more information -  http://frogtape.com/index.php/products/frogtape-shape-tape

And here's a link to a blog that seems to have everything you need to know about painting - http://makingitlovely.com/2010/03/09/diy-painting-tips-tricks-and-a-step-by-step-guide/.  It was nice to find out that I really knew most of this, but helpful to be reminded of the how-tos.  Maybe it will help you too.

Here's a picture of one of my sun catchers.Please check out my etsy site to see more.

I'd love to hear about your home projects and any helpful hints you have to share.

No comments: